Montréal-Nord Borough Municipal Regulations and Permits on Masonry

Montréal-Nord Borough Municipal Regulations and Permits on Masonry

Complete Guide to Municipal Regulations for Masonry in Montreal-Nord

Everything You Need to Know to Undertake Exterior Cladding Work

Permits: When Do You Need One?

The first question that often comes up is about obtaining a permit. In Montreal-Nord, if you are conducting minor repairs, such as brick or stone re-pointing, no permit is required. However, if you plan to replace part or all of the exterior cladding, obtaining a permit becomes mandatory.

Approved Materials for Cladding

It is crucial to know the authorized materials for exterior cladding:

  • Natural stone
  • Brick with a minimum thickness of 75 mm
  • Architectural concrete block
  • Glass
  • Marble or granite panels
  • Cement plaster for concrete foundation walls
  • Non-wavy aluminum panels
  • Mineral composite panels with a minimum thickness of 6 mm

It should be noted that the last two materials are prohibited on residential buildings of 3 stories or fewer.

Costs and Permit Pricing

The analysis fees for the permit depend on the total estimated cost of the work. The rate is $9.80 per $1,000 of estimated work. The minimum to pay is:

  • $157 for a strictly residential building
  • $462 for a commercial, industrial, institutional, or mixed-use building

All costs associated with the work must be included in this estimate, taxes included.

Painting and Murals

Painting on masonry cladding is not permitted. The same goes for paints that mimic other materials. However, murals are allowed under certain strict conditions, including their location on the building and the type of materials on which they are applied.

Documents Required for File Analysis

For a complete evaluation of your file, the following documents are required:

  • A quote or cost estimate grid, including taxes
  • A location certificate
  • Recent color photos of the affected facades and immediate neighbors

If the building has historical value, additional documents will be needed.

Condominiums and Representatives

For condominiums, a letter of authorization from each co-owner or a resolution from the condominium association is required. If you are a representative, a power of attorney is needed.

Additional Possible Fees

Additional fees may apply if your building has historical value or is subject to specific architectural standards. It's important to note that these fees are non-refundable.

We hope this guide has shed light on the different municipal regulations concerning masonry in Montreal-Nord. For all your masonry questions or needs, feel free to contact us!

If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact your borough's permit counter for clarification. Here is the link for the official page of the Municipal Regulation of the Montréal-Nord Borough.


This section has been prepared solely for the convenience of the reader and has no official or legal value. No warranty is offered as to the accuracy of the text. For all legal purposes, the reader should consult the official version of the by-law and each of its amendments or obtain a copy by contacting the City's clerk office.